Sex is oh so good for your health. Many people simply enjoy a healthy sex life because sex is pleasurable. Good sexual health can improve your physical health. An active sex regimen, a prescription of 2-3 times per week, has fascinating and evidenced-based benefits.
Enjoying a rigorous romp can do wonders for everyone both physically and psychologically. Therefore if sex has become a non-priority in your life, you may want to reconsider putting at the top of your “to do” list, because not only could sexcapading result in stronger teeth, it could actually save your life.
The following are different reasons why sex and sexual activity may help you live a longer, happier life due to the health benefits of sex:
1. Keeps our skin young and healthy – Sex increases blood circulation, which helps pump oxygen to our skin resulting in a brighter appearance. Scientific tests find that when woman make love they produce amounts of the hormone estrogen, which make hair shiny and skin smooth.
2. Sex Relieves Stress - A big health benefit of sex is lower blood pressure and overall stress reduction, according to researchers from Scotland. For men, their release calms them and sends happy chemicals to their brain. For women, absorbing semen works as a natural antidepressant and helps get rid of stress. Depressed and highly stressed individuals tend to have less sex. It’s a trap! Don’t fall into it.
3. Sex Boosts Immunity - Good sexual health may mean better physical health. Having sex once or twice a week has been linked with higher levels of an antibody called immunoglobulin A or IgA, which can protect you from getting colds and other infections.
4. Sex Burns Calories - Believe it or not, sexual intercourse burns off 150 calories every half hour. Although the average couple engages in sex for approximately 25 minutes a session only three times a week, it still accounts for 450 calories that are better taken off than put on. Sex is a great mode of exercise,” says Patti Britton, PhD, a Los Angeles sexologist and president of the American Association of Sexuality Educators and Therapists. It takes work, from both a physical and psychological perspective, to do it well, she says.
5. Sex Improves Cardiovascular Health - When we get aroused our blood starts to pump at a quicker rate and, thus, blood flow to our brain increases. This means that the fresh supply of blood pumping through your body provides the organs with a healthy dose of oxygen and rids the body of old and wasteful products. Researchers found that having sex twice or more a week reduced the risk of fatal heart attack by half for the men, compared with those who had sex less than once a month.
6. Sex Boosts Self-Esteem and Intimacy - Lovemaking of course builds and continues to improve intimacy. It also increases desire. Women often want more intimacy and is it within her reach. According to Family therapist Michael Gurian, a man’s oxytocin level matches a woman’s after his happy ending. Then you’ll both be more inclined to desire cuddle time. For some people, the more they feel loved, the more their self-esteem will inflate. Both parties, however, get a boost to their spirit. When things are great in bed, your confidence will increase.
7. Sex Reduces Pain - The best painkiller ever created is the mighty O. No, not Oxycontin but Orgasm. It releases natural chemicals like endorphins in the body, both before and during climax. These endorphins have a similar chemical structure to morphine. So if your headache, arthritis pain, or PMS symptoms seem to improve after sex, you can thank those higher oxytocin levels.
8. Lowers our risk of cancer - We love our guys, so let’s love their prostates too by helping them get off more often. Studies show that men in their 20s who ejaculate 5+ times a week reduced their risk of prostate cancer by a third, and older men reporting 21+ ejaculations per month lowered their risk as well. As for us ladies, regular sex has been shown to reduce our risk of breast cancer.
9. Fights cavities - Turns out that semen is chock-full of zinc, calcium and other tooth decay-fighting minerals that benefit us when our bodies absorb it. Also kissing each day will keep the dentist away. Kissing encourages saliva to wash food from the teeth and lowers the level of the acid that causes decay, preventing plaque build-up.
10. Sex Helps You Sleep Better - The oxytocin released during orgasm also promotes sleep, according to research. After an orgasm, an intense wave of calm and relaxation overcomes humans and it’s a time when people can truly liberate themselves and let go. Plenty of people who enjoy a regular dose of sex convey that they sleep much better during the night and feel alive and refreshed throughout the day.
Latest posts by Ion Cortez (see all)
- 2012 Trends in Men’s Hairstyles - June 5, 2012
- FHM’s Sexiest Woman in the World: Tulisa Contostavlos - June 4, 2012
- Diora Baird Will Melt Your Mind - May 25, 2012